Fitness in the Parks
Fitness in the Parks is a FREE exercise program that provides a variety of fitness opportunities within parks and natural areas across Prince George's County! We invite you to find the class that best suits your fitness goals and to come discover the benefits of exercising in nature.
Our Fitness in the Parks classes run September 14th - November 4th at M-NCPPC sites throughout Prince George's County. Classes are approximately one hour and are designed for all fitness levels. Certified instructors teach our fitness classes. Find a class in a park near you!
Benefits of Exercising Outdoors
Exercising outdoors provides an opportunity to be physically active in a constantly changing environment. Using your local park, running on a nearby trail or simply walking around your neighborhood are all great ways to meet your neighbors and your fitness goals! While exercise can enhance your physical health, it can improve your mental health too.
The Department of Parks and Recreation encourages and supports the participation of individuals with disabilities. Register at least two weeks before the program start date to request and receive a disability accommodation.
Participants must register for classes through Parks Direct, keyword search "Fitness in the Parks". Please see specific class listings for age requirements. Participants must sign a waiver to participate at the start of each class. For more information, call 301-466-6800; TTY 301-699-2544, or email the Health and Wellness team.
Classes may be canceled due to inclement weather or wet grounds. Call 301-927-0822 for weather-related cancellations.
Before You Come to Class
- Do not attend class if you are sick.
- Please bring your own yoga mat and equipment with you to class. No equipment will be provided at this time.
- Online class registration via Parks Direct is required prior to attending class. Children ages 18 and under must be registered by a parent or guardian. Learn how to register for an activity here.
- You must have a Parks Direct account and be a verified Prince George’s County resident in your Parks Direct account to register for classes. Learn how to set-up a Parks Direct account here. Learn how to upload age and residency verification documents here.
- Please arrive to class on-time. If you are more than 5 minutes late to class, your spot may be forfeited to another participant.
- There is no guaranteed access to water fountains or restroom facilities at class locations; please come prepared.
- Face coverings are recommended while walking to/from the class location, and while interacting with staff. Face coverings are not required during the class.
- Please check-in with staff upon arrival and follow the directions of staff and signs. Participants must remain 6 feet apart at all times.
- Instructors will provide verbal cues only. There will be no direct contact.
- Participants must leave the class area at the end of class- no group gatherings.